Little House

Little House
The Begginings...

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Tear out continues...

Another weekend over and work is slowly progressing.  Did a little cleanup around the outside, mowed the yard for the yard for the first time.  Learned that mowing the rental house and the new house in the same day with a push mower was not a pleasant thing.

The water was still not turned on even though they were told to have it on by Friday.  Ah the joys of a small town.  The city maintenance guy is less than dependable and evidently no one is willing to challenge him. 

I did manage to get more of the tear out done.  Now there is no wall between the kitchen and the bathroom.  The washer and dryer closet wall is gone too.  I am still tearing out flooring in the kitchen and bathroom, trying to find a decent end to the water damaged sub-flooring.  There is a little more joist and sill damage than I was hoping to find but seems to be mostly in the kitchen and bathroom areas so hopefully the rest of the house will give me a break. 

From the way things are looking so far, I am going to have to jack up the exterior wall from the outside, above the joists so I can cut the wall loose and replace the band joists and sills and put in flashing.  Then I will have to jack up the floor joists to replace or repair them one at a time.  Most likely I will have to jack up on both sides of the one I am replacing and move the rig each time.  I hope I won't have to do this on too many of them and can just sister in some of them instead of full replacement.

This week I am planning on cutting a number of support struts that will allow me to jack up the outside wall and still have clearance to remove the old band joists and sills and put in the new.

No comments:

Post a Comment